Families who are experiencing homelessness find it difficult to maintain their routines, celebrations and rituals. Donations to our new Birthday-in-a-Box fund ensures that our children will have a birthday celebration to remember. To protect the privacy and confidentiality of our residents staying at Maria House and Teresa Shelter, our families are unable to invite family and friends to the shelter for birthday parties. A donation to our Birthday-in-a-Box fund will provide a personal birthday celebration experience for a child’s special day at an off-site location.
Starting in the summer of 2017, we will also host a monthly group party for our women and children celebrating a birthday with a theme that goes along with the season.
Here’s how you can help:
- Monetary Donations
- Gift Cards for pizza, Skate Country, bowling, Vertical Jump, or Grand Harbor Waterpark passes
- Gift Cards to purchase Birthday Cakes, Snacks and Party Supplies
- Decorated Birthday Cakes (call for available dates)
- Party Favors, Birthday Plates and Napkins
Birthday-in-a-Box for a Child ($50 donation)
Monetary donations and gift cards of any size also welcome!
- Personalized Decorated Birthday Cake
- Pizza Gift Certificates
- Party Favors, Plates, Napkins
- Gift cards for Skate Country, Bowling, Vertical Jump or Grand Harbor Waterpark
For more information, email Heather LuGrain at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Teresa Shelter at 563-690-0086.
Click on the button below to make an online donation.
Donations may be dropped off at our administrative office located at 2100 Asbury Road, Suite 8 (next door to the American Red Cross) Monday – Friday 8 AM to 4 PM. Make checks payable to Opening Doors and mail to 2100 Asbury Road, Suite 8, Dubuque, IA 52001. Write Birthday-in-a-Box in the memo section.